Updated: Aug 29, 2022
Officially discovered in 1884, one year after railway workers stumbled on what is known as the Cave and Basin on the lower slopes of Sulphur Mountain, The Upper Hot Springs were developed as early as 1886 when a log bathhouse and the Grand View Villa were established In 1895 Francis “Frank” Beattie opened a two-storey, six-room hotel near the hot springs. In 1898 The Beattie Hotel was destroyed by fire and within a few years Jock and Robert Thomson had built the Hot Springs Hotel on the Site. That same year the government opened a bathhouse beside the Hot Springs Hotel. It featured two concrete-lined plunge pools, several bathtubs and a 50-square-metre pool. Access was via horseback or carriage until 1915 when a road was opened.